Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GypsyHeart
Autobrew Anon Member

Back when I was young, all of my friends drank. That's what we did. Almost every activity either involved or centered on alcohol. We thought it was great fun and at some points it was. But there were so many nights that it really wasn't. I lost over 30 yrs of my life "having fun" when I could have been doing things that would have made my life so much easier right now. But the past is the past - I wonder that you are awake enough (unlike me) that you are not wanting to be typing the words I just wrote when you are my age (48).
If that is the reason, more power to you. If I would have a chance to redo it, I would find myself a new group of friends. Not to say that you have to get rid of your friends - but you don't have to go to those activities that involve a lot of drinking. As Dee said, you may be surprised at the people around you that aren't big drinkers/partyers. I certainly had those people around me back then, so I did have a choice. It's hard for me to say no too. I'm a big follower and also a people pleaser. But again I have choices. It sounds like you do too.
AA wasn't for me, so I understand what you wrote about it. Somehow, AA made me want to drink more..?? I don't know why. I guess I just didn't fit in either.
You should read all over this forum. There is so much information here and also I find again and again people who would support you to the moon and back. People offer the things that have helped them and there are many. Mine are filling my life with other things such as reading books, taking care of myself physically (eat better and drink juice & lots of water), the internet and SR. SR helps fill in the cracks, really.
PS: It's really not a sin if you do isolate yourself for a bit, stop drinking, figure out what's important & what you really want in your life and then go out and find out how to get it