Thread: AA Moving on
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Joe - I actually see much logic and sense in the 12 steps - I perhaps tend to migrate towards a more non secular 12 step approach though - but that s just me.

I don't take to AA bashing - like I said, AA has done wonders getting me sober, becoming more aware and spiritual. I will always be in debt to the program. My issues as I updated probably have more to do with the people I have come in contact with in the program - which is too bad. Who knows I may find RR does not do it for me and I return to AA? The good thing is I have what is required for membership - the desire to stop drinking - this will not change - ever!
LOL! The people really do mess up the meetings don't they! Years ago I used to go to lots of meetings and eventually I refused to attend open meetings at all and just went to 12 step, BB and Speaker meetings.

What helped me the most in my own journey as an ACOA and Alanon was actually XA Speakers and their speaker downloads. A lot of collective wisdom there that you can listen to in the car or on a run or wherever. I have listened to hundreds of talks on both the AA and Alanon side. Additionally there are 12 Step series on there and they are constantly adding talks for free download. NO people to mess up the meeting!

Since then I have done the steps with a sponsor, have done a ton of reading on the subject and for many years did a lot of counseling.

You are the person in complete control of YOUR recovery and how you design what works for you long term will change through the years. You have a great attitude now and being open to change and exploration is not a bad thing because experience is a great teacher. Just keep your pulse and if you need to plug in what worked for you in the beginning to make sure you don't go off track and you will be fine!