Thread: Hopelessness...
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Michael66
Recovering

Hey there NoExcuse. I think being scared, and being emotional comes with the territory of both drinking and early recovery. A tough part of early recovery is that you see everything starkly and you haven't had any time to see the benefits that slowly start to mount as you no longer drink. It's the toughest time for lots of reasons. But it really does get better. It seems the speed things get better differs between people. I was pretty miserable for about four months but I see others here get their Zing back faster. I think the thing is to accept that you'll go at your own pace.

I kept a diary which was useful. I could look back even when I was still pretty miserable and see that I was getting better. Seeing evidence of progress, even if it's slow, is really encouraging.

Stick with it. Life, of course, will still have its challenges and ups and downs. But you can get through this and feel so much better in so many ways. Sobriety doesn't stay as difficult and emotional add it is in the early days and weeks.

God bless.

Michael