Thread: To commit?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rara

Sherela,

I haven't been around the boards for a while. No Al Anon, nothing. Felt like I needed a break from even thinking about alcoholism (well, that is impossible), even though this is a wonderful place.

I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. You are in a very difficult and scary situation. I think it would be awful for anyone to handle, but you seem to be handling it with grace.

It is also very difficult in my state to have someone committed. I know all about the law of "danger to themselves or others"...10 years ago, my best friend became (mentally) ill over a period of about 18 months. No one could believe it, it was shocking and unexpected. Anyway, despite trying desperately, no one could get her into a psych hospital due to the law. She was a danger..but not enough for the law. We even thought of lying to her and taking her ourselves because she was so bad. (not wise, we didn't do it) It was a terrible time and I miss her greatly. She was finally treated, but it was too late by then. She had a psychotic break and the meds couldn't bring her back, only stop progession. She is "OK", functioning in the world, but she is gone, not the person I knew, and is never coming back. I was angry for years about that law. I really think earlier treatment would have saved her before she had the real "break". Very sad... I have a hard time even seeing her. I know it happens to many people and we feel helpless. Freedom can sometimes bring a high price, I guess. It's a tough issue.

I wish you well and please keep us informed.