Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
PippiLngstockng

Eight hours later...

Leave it to an A to make the most suffering and drama of each moment.

Xah wasn't ready for us at 10. He, his elderly (alcoholic) parents and the children were all there, going about their morning as though nothing was happening. I had the Uhaul waiting around the corner for my police back-up.

My mother arrives first. Xah goes out immediately to her car, saying, 'you have no right to be here. You have to go through my lawyer.' She said, 'you continue to be irresponsible. Show me the money. That's why I'm here.' He was maybe going to make her leave, but then a neighbor drove up, then me followed by first one, then two police officers. He retreated out back and was probably calling his lawyers.

The police went inside to check out the situation. They came back and told me that Xah was giving me one hour to get my stuff and go. One hour?! I asked if the children could go out first because I didnt want them to experience this. The officer told me I was already on the clock.

So I went in and no one was visible. I tried to work discretely and the house was silent. Then DS16 came over to lend a hand. He was reserved but okay. Helpful. Bringing boxes downstairs, my younger two were near. I hugged DD7 but she was - very - reserved. Not at all herself. I greeted DS10 and we exchanged looks, but he also was shut down. Very little light inside.

Xah took them somewhere and I frantically grabbed what I could, with much help from DS16 and my Mom. The van loaded, my time up, I went to find my in-laws. I knocked and they eventually ket me in. I wished them happy new year and gave MIL a box of chocolates i had brought from Europe. I gave them a nice travel coffee thermos and a bag of coffee beans from a place in NY he likes.

I invited them to gather for tea at a friends', all of us. MIL almost did not accept my gift but I stood calm and patient and she relented without saying anything. Then she said, 'this is the last time I will ever see the children again'. I didn't fall for the pity party. I said, 'they are coming for three weeks this summer. Didn't you know?' She knew.

They refused tea. Then MIL added, 'this isn't all our fault'. I said no one was blaming anyone. I said it would be nice to all get together and show the children that we can move forward in the new year as peaceful adults. Etc. the police officer came and said we had to go. She had an emergency call. So I got.

Good bye sad, tense, ashamed, dusty, silent house.

Going through boxes on New Year's Eve, old photos of the children when all seemed well. Such beautiful children.