View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
jdooner

I think what is being debate or discussed rather is really wisdom.

In business, I often see some of the most talented men and women in the World. Many of these kids are in their mid 20s and work for the most prestigious hedge funds in NYC. Went to an Ivy undergrad and Wharton or Harvard grad school, some worked for the CIA or Intel of Samsung before coming to Wall Street to chase the might dollar. I was one of them once. You think you know it all and you hear and listen from guys with more time about market downturns etc but you shake it off - you know better. This is how bubbles are created (Housing in the late 80s, Internet in early 2000, housing 2008, solar 2009).

Having gone through a few cycles myself in the markets, I realized there is wisdom that comes with making it through the tough times when many around you don't survive and end up exiting the Industry. I see parallels to sobriety and recovery. Some may have a better program or more faith but nothing can make up for the experience that time brings. Does this make someone who has 30 yrs any better than someone who has 3 months? No, of course not but the 30 yrs of sobriety probably has a few more experiences and a bit more wisdom to share.

I do think that someone who has just abstained from drinking (dry drunk) and is not actively in recovery hits a period of diminishing returns before 6 months - we can debate the time but I see many that seem to have flatlined in spite of being sober and its my belief this has to do with abstinence vs recovery.

BTW - This is coming from someone who only has 4 months of sobriety (next week actually).