Thread: Starting over.
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gal220

Originally Posted by h24k View Post
My advice is to really admit that you have a problem even though you're "only 21".
I would echo that! I was 21 when I started drinking and 24 when I sobered up. AA is what helped me get sober. I remember when I first started going to meetings, the people there really rooted for me. They were so used to seeing young people just come in because they were court ordered. So they would come in for a couple of months and then they'd be gone. So other than these brief periods when young people would come in and out, I was the youngest there by far. I listened to people talk about how they wished they had gotten sober in their 20s, but then spent 20 or 30 or even 40 more years drinking. It was really sad, and made me feel so grateful that I had the opportunity to change my outcome - almost like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol! Bottom line, no matter how old I was, how much I drank, or how much I lost (or didn't lose), I was an alcoholic. I couldn't predict or control my actions after I started drinking. Drinking only led to negative things for me. So I had to admit that to myself and get serious about learning to live sober. If I can do it, you can do it! There are a lot of ways to get sober, so pick something and commit would be my advice.