Notices

Starting over.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over.

I wrote on this forum about 6 months ago with the intention to quit drinking.I managed to quit for 2 weeks with the help of several AA sessions. After thinking I had it all under control, i started to drink again as I told myself in my head that i'm only 21 and to give up drinking at this age wouldn't be feasible.
Within three months I have lost all of my friends, was told to leave my apartment and just yesterday- lost my job. All as a direct or indirect result of alcohol. I've really hit rock bottom with my drinking and I am determined to get rid of this life destroying habit. Any advice or tips to help with the extremely difficult first few days/week would be most appreciated! Thanks.
Victoria
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The thing that helped me the most in the first weeks of sobriety was AA. I went to multiple meetings per day. Also, I got a sponsor and started working the steps. A good friend always told me "I always know I can get to a meeting, I've never been offered a drink there!"

Hang in there, it is very tough at the beginning, but once the fog starts lifting it does get easier! You can do this. You are worth it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There are many form of support. People here have tried various avenues. Just have a look around for some help and advice. Coming here is a wonderful start and I hope you can find some answers. Good for you, making a life changing decision to do something about it. It is never too late to pick up the pieces and find your self esteem. Good luck xxxx
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My advice is to really admit that you have a problem even though you're "only 21". Indeed, young people can absolutely have an addiction to alcohol. Your age doesn't mean it's okay to drink so heavily. If you have already come to terms with that, then it sounds like you're on the right track. I kept using the excuse that I was too young to quit--that I would stop at 25, then I would stop at 30. Well, I am 35 now and have finally decided to give it my all and truly quit. Don't let that happen to you; good luck!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

I am glad that you are stopping. Get all the support you can. You mentioned AA; maybe that is a place to start.

Talk to a doctor or medical center, if at all possible. Sometimes withdrawal is dangerous.

If you are interested in groups, here is a link to a list of options (not sure what is in the UK). http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
In the US, AA has young people's meetings. Maybe the UK has that too, if it would be helpful to meet other young sober people.

I stopped drinking very young, and I am so glad that I did that. I've gotten to do so much more throughout my life.

Best wishes! Sobriety is worth it!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by h24k View Post
My advice is to really admit that you have a problem even though you're "only 21".
I would echo that! I was 21 when I started drinking and 24 when I sobered up. AA is what helped me get sober. I remember when I first started going to meetings, the people there really rooted for me. They were so used to seeing young people just come in because they were court ordered. So they would come in for a couple of months and then they'd be gone. So other than these brief periods when young people would come in and out, I was the youngest there by far. I listened to people talk about how they wished they had gotten sober in their 20s, but then spent 20 or 30 or even 40 more years drinking. It was really sad, and made me feel so grateful that I had the opportunity to change my outcome - almost like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol! Bottom line, no matter how old I was, how much I drank, or how much I lost (or didn't lose), I was an alcoholic. I couldn't predict or control my actions after I started drinking. Drinking only led to negative things for me. So I had to admit that to myself and get serious about learning to live sober. If I can do it, you can do it! There are a lot of ways to get sober, so pick something and commit would be my advice.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your feedback and personal accounts. They are much appreciated.