View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by newme2day View Post
I have been doing pretty well in my sobriety, however I have some major concerns about Christmas. I stopped drinking last month because i drank too much wine which led to throwing up all night. I decided that was it. . .no more. I haven't had a drop since then, but I haven't told anyone I quit. I didn't drink all day everyday - but I can't seem to handle alcohol when I drink. Also, drinking seemed to consume my thoughts.

The problem is . .. not telling anyone I quit gives me an out. I know it does. I don't think I will take it, but I know it is there. I am sure my husband notices I haven't had a drink, but he hasn't said a word. We don't talk about it. I am not sure how to handle the upcoming holidays. This has been my only source of help during recovery. I am not ready to let the whole world know about my drinking problem. I am the type of person who thinks if it's broke, figure it out and fix it. I don't like to lean on others for help, although I would appreciate any advice you can give.
If your an alcoholic like me (this is not clear from your post), there is no way you can become sober and keep this in the closet. At some point your going to have to come out, perhaps not to everyone but those closest. I can only share my experience but everyone around me knows I am an alcoholic/addict. Colleagues, family and the funny thing is most knew it before I told them.

Until I was able to squash the idea or concept of ever drinking again I was unable to get rid of the obsession. Now that I have truly and finally accepted I am an alcoholic and an addict and I can never, ever drink or use a drug ever again it no longer becomes an issue.