Thread: AVRT and AA
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jdooner

You are going to find mixed views on this. RR and AA are a bit opposed in the basic fundamental views. AA believes it is a disease and you are never cured but can recover - sort of like remission. RR uses self empowerment and a big plan to kill any thoughts of ever drinking and living a sober life. AA uses spirituality and a power greater than yourself to remove character defects through 12 steps that are continuous.

I have read both books and I practice AA, although RR sounds quite perfect. For me, my obsession is lifted with my step work and my life is improving with AA, so why change it - although I tried to switch. When I did start to change programs my bottom fell out - I don't think this was a function of RR but its what happened to me. I think it had more to do with questioning some core fundamentals and inevitably allowed a seed that I may one day be cured and could drink again - both programs discourage this thinking but its what happened to me.

In my opinion both have very strong merits. I like the meeting aspect, in spite of the time requirements. I like relating to other drunks and addicts who have walked the walk. But then you add in opinions from other ver opinionated drunks, which leads to people vs program. When I have a problem its usually personal views and not the AA program but the messengers can be quite discouraging.

I sort of think you choose one of the other given my experience of trying to change while in one - it unraveled a lot for me.

Good luck on getting out and sorry this happened to you. Things will improve for you and life is so much better when you rid yourself of this awful drug. If it helps, I had suicidal thoughts daily towards the end. I had even made plans and OD"ed" twice so when faced with leaving this World I was really scared and did not want to.

You are not alone - its the disease, illness whatever you want to call it and life is amazing once you can remove the booze and drugs.