View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
maca1028

First time posting-Need Advice

This is my first time posting or even visiting a message board like this for that matter, so bear with me. I am happily married with two kids and a respectable career. The reason I looked this place up is because my mother is an alcoholic, not the type that drinks from sunrise to sundown, but drinks and is still able to maintain a lifestyle that includes a good job, nice house, car, and a questionable marriage. The issue she has is that the moment she gets home from work she opens a bottle of wine, gets on Facebook and drinks until bedtime, wake up, go to work, rinse and repeat, you get the idea. She has had this problem for years, well before her marriage. Every night I would talk to her on the phone after she's been home a couple of hours, it was obvious, slurred voice, and sometimes she couldn't remember the conversation we had from the night before. I have asked her to work on her drinking several times but have been unsuccessful. There were some other factors that lead to my next decision but if I get into that my carpal tunnel will flare up. Basically I finally got to a point that I had to say, " I want you to get help, I will be right there beside you every step of the way, and until you do, I can't keep a good relationship with you." I followed that up by telling her that I loved her very much and that was the end of the conversation. That was 2 months ago and she has yet to do anything and still feels like she doesn't have a problem. Here's the tricky part, my grandparents have scolded me for what I did and agree with my mom that she doesn't have a problem, they refuse to be a part of my life and my kids life until I can accept my moms lifestyle. The other issue is my moms husband is a heavy drinker so there will be no help there either. What I don't understand is my grandfather is 40 plus years sober and my uncle (their son, my moms brother) lost his battle with drug addiction when I was a kid, so I would think they would be the first to understand where I'm coming from. These are the people that raised me and they all mean the world to me, and my kids are starting to wonder why we haven't seen them in so long. I can't just wash my hands of the situation and I have gotten SO close to just giving in just to maintain the peace. The only one behind me is my wife. My grandparents and a couple of other family members feel like I am way out of line, when I know in my heart that I am well within reason. Anyways sorry for the long post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.