View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
frustratedhubby

Along with my therapist visit, I also went to an Al-Anon meeting last night. It was a small group of very nice older folks with various stories of tragedy. The group was clearly unbelievably therapeutic for them. But the main thing I learned was that Al-Anon is not a fraternity I want to join permanently if I can avoid it.

At this point, I'm not angry at my wife. She has a disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I've been looking at my decision to divorce her based off of my subjective view of morality along with my more mercenary opinion of what is best for me. For a while now, what's been best for me has been to leave her. But morally I wouldn't do that because she convinced me she was dealing with other illnesses.

But now, even though she might have been in denial about the overall severity of her situation, I know that she consciously lied and manipulated me about her alcohol addiction every day up until she crossed over that marriage line. Morally, that's not acceptable for me.

In the meanwhile, I absolutely plan on continuing to attend therapy and Al-Anon. I can imagine that the process of divorcing an alcoholic isn't much better than being married to one.