View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Music

One Day at a Time. That's my focus! I read in the Big Book in Chapter 3 where it suggested that I try some "controlled" drinking. I knew that was out of the question because I'd never been able to control my drinking. Then, I read that if I had any doubt as to whether or not I was alcoholic to try not drinking for a year. That's all it took for me. I hadn't gone a day without drinking for as long as I could remember. I came to AA and my sponsor told me to just do whatever it took to not drink, just for today. That seemed manageable, although there were times when I had to break it down to hours, when I was dealing with something that seemed overwhelming. After a couple months, I realized one day that I hadn't even had the urge to drink for a couple months and that's when I knew the program was working.

It won't be too long until I can celebrate over 13,500 days of not having to take that next drink. What a great gift. Thing is, I still know in my gut that if I drink just one, the next one will follow until I've lost everything. Where my drinking is concerned, my past drinking is the best indication of my future drinking and I don't want any part of it.