Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
KateL
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I'm not drinking today and I think I'll make it through Christmas. On the horizon is a trip back home in April. I've been away for so long that I'm only in contact with about seven or so old friends. These bloke lives still revolve around pubs, football and drinking. These people are my only friends from my youth. They are all I have left. That is why I think that I'll likely drink again.

Funny enough my parents have never seen my drink. My father is an alcoholic , I hated it, and as a result have never drunk in their presence.

I am not trying to be defeatist just honest.

Thinking more about my friends I suspect that a few of them probably are also alcoholics. There's been drink driving convictions, drunken brawls, puking after one drink before a night out and even a recent suicide. It's really prevalent in the culture I'm from and grew up in. Maybe I can break out of this cycle

I'm trying, really trying. Sorry for being so whiny.
Oh whine away. I am a whiney git without the drink It is hard to break away from drinking buddies. The odd thing is, I was the worst in my circle. Perhaps that is unusual because I have kept my friends. Very few of them had a problem and I am lucky to still have them. However, my best friend, who was addicted to about every drug on the planet had to bail out and become a hermit after recovery. I have tried to bring him into the real world but he refuses. Perhaps that suits him. You can build a new circle of friends and acquaintances. I did through recovery people, but was lucky to keep many of my old ones too. I suppose if all your friends are heavy drinkers it is more difficult. But there are people out there who you haven't met yet. It is fun to do things other than go to the pub. I would never have said that twenty years ago. I love to eat out and without the calories of alcohol, I am now very slim. I like to go to the cinema or theatre. Mostly (which surprises me the most) I like to stay home and do house repairs, decorating, cooking, watching telly, doing my hair... boring stuff that I actually enjoy.