View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by newwestdork View Post
I like the idea of committing to a specific period.

Honestly, just saying "I'm not drinking anymore!" sounds bit hollow after having said precisely that at least half a dozen times before. "Never again," says the drunkard the next morning, to the disbelief of all in earshot.

"I'm not drinking at all for a year" seems like it will make it a bit more concrete and less daunting. Three months was doable, next up, 12.
Maybe when you get to a year, forever won't seem so daunting.

For me, I had to accept never drinking again. Accept it and make it my goal. Never drink again. Any set period of sobriety, for me, was just negociating with my addiction. If I planned for 6 months, I could usually talk myself back into drinking in three months, because that was almost six months and I practically proved I could do that. What BS I fed myself.

Even "one day at a time" seemed to leave the door open to my addiction, like "one day" I could drink. Once I accepted I wasn't a normal drinker, never would be a normal drinker, and that I could never drink, it was like the committment switch was thrown in my head.

But that's me. Pick what works for you and good luck. Because the cycle of quitting and starting again just makes for worse and worse withdrawals.