View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Making a Big Plan, or the idea of a Big Plan in general was a turning point for me. Before I knew the phrase, prior to learning of RR/AVRT, I made a BP hundreds of times, hundreds of regret filled never agains, most have I'm sure.

But those I now see as big plans(lowercase), because though I was truly regretful of my actions and didn't want to suffer the consequences , nor continue to, I made the plan while entertaining on different levels the notion of the disease model of addiction. I let myself believe I was most likely going to be influenced by 'something' beyond me control. That relapse was nearly inevitable, I was determined to fight it but I felt that drinking again was possible or even likely, whether I sincerely wanted to quit or not.

I now have a Big Plan, I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind. It establishes a different mindset a 'tool' to borrow a recovery term, a big one too, sledgehammer size. This tool affirms for me that it will stay in place in happiness , sadness during or 'in' any 'ness'. Forgetting or ignoring it are not options. I no longer believe something beyond my control influences that decision.
I ended my addiction, my BP is the tool I use to never let it start again.

So I think I see what Jess is saying. Never couldn't be said or affirmed while knowing or thinking that future drinking was a possibility. If I still believed the disease model , I couldn't have made mine either.

Jess awesome thread, your honesty and integrity are inspiring , Onward!
Thanks for this. You do get what I am saying. The very crux of the BP was what I struggled with. I did not drink for almost 9 months but, I could not say never will I drink again. Without the never (as SL had attempted to show me in the past) it is all for not, as they say.

This place and you guys are the one place I get to be honest. My boyfriend knows I drank but no one else does. However, no-one else besides immediate family knows I quit so they wouldn't care if I drank.

I know that there is no need for this thread and that never drinking again is a personal decision but, there I times I really like to get feedback into "my beast". Hence the reason for it.

Lastly no offense intended to anyone but, I am not surrendering sh*t. I fully knew exactly what I was doing when I chose to consume alcohol. Nothing made me do it. Thus, the beast won a small battle.... however, I (the real me) has got the war.

Jess