View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I'm plugged in here to learrn a little more.

I bought the book Mindfulness (and/or The Mindful way Through Depression?) a while back, and read a good portion of it (along with some other material on mindfulness). It was during a time that I was also going to therapy, and putting some real effort into CBT. It seemed to me at the time that they were a nice pair, and a new frontier for my sobriety and life... yet, as much as I tried to stick to the things I was reading about and learning, it just wasn't taking hold. Like my lifelong thinking habits were just too engrained.

Since I've been spending time in SR I've also gotten the notion that this stuff is the other side of the 12 step fence in regards to recovery. Though I don't see any reason they can't work together, and I'm pretty certain I've got it wrong.

Anyhow, I often write during bkfst when I have to head out to work and don't have time to say all I want. In short, I'd like to learn a little more about this stuff myself, as what I read sounded really interesting and promising. Just wondering if anyone else here thinks there might be some clear difference between this stuff, and the essence of the 12 step message. I'm not saying there is, but I'm wondering if I have trouble grasping this because of some left brain right brain kind of stuff, 12 step vs secular, or creative vs. mathematical, scientific, or whatever.

Hope that made sense.