Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thestarxvii

BF suggested break after 1 month of rehab

My BF of almost 2 years recently started out patient rehab for opiate addiction. He's 1 month in, not sober. He said he has been getting subs off street, while he waits for sub script. He's still hanging with his user friends. They are from his childhood and has a deep connection to them. Although I know this is not a good idea, he won't listen.

My father is recently sober for 2 years after he was given a death sentence if he ever drank again. He had used alcohol for 20+ years, attempting rehab multiple times.

I don't under stand what my BF is going through physically and emotionally, but I have dealt with an addict for my whole life. I don't love the addict, I love the person, and have grown to not take everything personal.

Recently my BF has been pushing me away and last night we figured out its because his feelings of guilt for not giving me a life that I deserve.
He mentioned taking a step back and distance. Said he didn't want to, but it seemed like he was trying to get me to say "good idea!"

He said his clinician told him, "if you love her, you would break up with her, she shouldn't have to go through thus with you."

I understand what the clinician means but I don't see what's good about my BF cutting off the one friend that is sober.

I'm torn. I don't want him to look at me and constantly be feeling guilt, but i don't want us to abandon each other either.

is it really necessary? Or can we make it through?