View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hammer
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Oh sure. Our experience . . . Mom/Mrs. Hammer was pretty far off her rocker on return from Rehab. That way for MONTHS. (but I now understand that is not that uncommon). So Mrs. Hammer was pretty nutz upon return from Rehab and doing crazy rants with our daughter -- was making daughter feel crazy and daughter came to me looking for help. My first Go-To for help with Mrs. Hammer's mom. She had been very supportive on keeping Mrs. Hammer's various nuttiness in line in the past and supportive on Rehab for her.

But this time, Granna (Mrs. Hammer's mother) pretty much rolled on the kids and went totally Codie on Mrs. Hammer, as she had been so scared by the whole Rehab thing.

Daughter was slipping in school due to the stress, and the teachers came to talk to me.
I went to the school counselor and she recommended Alateen. I figured 'Duh, huh?' as I was doing Alanon for me and Mrs. Hammer was/is in AA. Mrs. Hammer went totally berserk, but I took daughter (then 10 y.o.), anyway. Daughter LOVED it. Studied it, put the stuff into practice, and recovered in her school work. She later decided she wanted to be more "normal," and is out of meetings, but is now really turned into her local school 6th Grade Social Worker. Already organized an "intervention" on an Anorexic (gymnast) friend, and other things I cannot even mention on here without breaking confidences. She is sort of my hero in this regard.

Our 9 y.o. Son has now started into Alateen as well, shortly after his 9 year birthday. He, too, thinks it is wonderful. He went because he could not resolve what to do about the crazy lies and stories Mrs. Hammer was telling (by now, we knew that Mrs. Hammer had sort of settled into a Compulsive Liar habit after Rehab). He is a very earnest Cub Scout and the idea of Mom telling lies was very confusing and distressing for him. Alateen has helped him a lot as well.

Specific to your questions -- 12 to (I think) 19 is standard Alateen. Some run a 9 -11 program, and for us locally two groups -- one just a 1/4 mile from our house, and another less 10 miles -- run 9 to 19, as one big group.

Just sat down with (now) 11 year old daughter and asked her what advice to give you (since she also is now seeking "normal.") So here is what the Social Worker of 6th Grade says --

================

Hammer Jr.: Help them find one that goes down to 9 years old, Dad [ok]. Offer that she go to one meeting. If she likes it, she can go back, if she does not, she does not have to and nothing more will be said.

=============

So there you go -- the Expert's Advice. As you can tell, I think very well of Alateen, and already went to Sponsor training for myself, so that can help the program when I finish my Steps and have 2 years Good Time in Alanon. Need help on finding a group that goes down to 9 years old?