View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
trudgingagain

Thanks for the kind words dirk! And, actually ...to both dirk and suntastic...just an FYI...when I got sober for the first time in 1991, I had kind of an epiphany after about 3 months (when the fog REALLY cleared). My second husband (my daughters' father) had finally gone back to work (aboard cruise ships as the ship's photographer.) I looked around and said to myself, "What the hell am I doing????" I was teaching during the day, going to law school at night, PLUS I had 2 girls to raise....and NOW I was sober. I quit law school, and when he returned (I think it was in December, I told him either he got a job by May 1st or he moved). Sure enough, May 1st came and went and I told him to leave, and changed the locks on the door. Then filed for divorce. (He had actually told me that drinking dark beer when I was nursing was GOOD for creating breast milk...ugh!) He is still an alcoholic and has said to me since the divorce that he would rather I be drunk and crawling around on the floor, so we could still be a "family", rather than having me sober! My (now) husband is really a wonderful man....I am very lucky actually. but...again...I married him when I was sober....and stayed sober for many years...so the poor guy had NO IDEA what he was getting himself into when I began drinking again...LOL...(Not funny, actually). There WAS one drunken incident over which he almost divorced me....and DID give me any ultimatum....quit or he leaves. That was my return to AA for another 3 years. So, dirk, yes, him calling me out on my behavior while drunk did make me seek change. Chaili, you seem really new to sobriety (not that I am not), but I have been there and all of our feelings/emotions are sooooo screwed up in the beginning....give it some time. I remember that I was told not to make any big changes in the first year (sometimes we can't help it, though). It might be a good idea to at least discuss sobriety with him. Could be he wants to change too?..or...at least be willing to support you in your recovery? Why do you think you drank after 6 days last week? Have you read about "urge surfing"? I just found out about it, and am really working on it...and it seems to work. Just a thought....hang in there...the ups and downs of early sobriety are a b**ch....but WE CAN DO THIS....TOGETHER