View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
trudgingagain

Well, Suntastic...I can only tell you my experience. When I quit, it was about ME, not him. It had to be for me to stay sober. Does my husband have a drinking problem? Well, probably....but I know I am not in control of that, nor can I judge him given my own drinking. During my second bout with sobriety (for 3 years), my husband actually quit as well and went to AA with me. (I am not using AA this time around) I think he stayed sober for about 3 months.... I never threw away his beer...just asked him to keep it out of my sight...which he has always done whenever I asked. If I dumped it all out and told him he couldn't have it anymore...because I wanted to get sober.....I DO think that he would sneak it. Who am I to tell him whether he can drink or not? As for anger and resentment....for me, I guess I get more disgusted. Initially, I guess I was resentful....because he CAN drink (mostly) like a normal person...I CANNOT. But "they" say that "resentment is the number one offender"...that will lead us to drink. Why are you resentful? Because he is drinking and you decided to stop? Or because he got hammered for two days straight? I think that would make me angry as well, since it seems quite disrespectful, but also like an "I'll show you!" kinda attitude. Did he agree to stop drinking with you? You say he disregards your needs....is this in all areas or in terms of your need to be sober? My husband never sent me to the liquor store for him, but just yesterday I was at the market and picked up a 6 pack of beer for him. I really didn't think much about it, other than it would be cheaper at the supermarket than the corner store. Now, I don't know how newly sober you are....which could be a huge factor....as I said, I have 49 days now, but over the last 22 years I have been sober 15 of them....so, that might have something to do with it as well. Please feel free to PM me if you like...hang in there! You can do this....for YOU