View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
shil2587

No one judges you for being with him. Most of us are here because we made the same decision ourselves and many here also choose to stay because we love them.
I think that the decision whether to pull an intervention is one that only you can make. Some alcoholics say that their road to recovery was prompted by the reactions of their loved ones, while others believe that nothing anyone else said or did would have helped - it had to come from them. You know your husband best so we can only speak from our own perspectives.

Having said that, my exabf (not ex by my choice) had come to the same realisation as yours seems to have, accepting the fact he needed help. As a result, he used to be quite comfortable talking to me about his drinking and what he found hard. If that sounds like your husband, it's possible that he might be willing to at least listen to a very small group of people he trusts - especially if done with the love you clearly feel for him. It doesn't need to be a shock or stressful. If I had attempted an intervention I would have had to have kept it to no more than three people, including myself or I think he would have felt ganged up on. But I know he would have listened and considered what was said. If you don't feel that he is willing to talk things through with you, then no amount of talking will make the slightest difference.

However, whether you decide to go ahead or not, please don't feel that you are in anyway to blame or are responsible for how he reacts. Only he can decide to pursue recovery and only if he is fully committed to it can he succeed. Only he can decide to put his recovery ahead of his job, ahead of even you. You didn't cause it, you cannot cure it and you cannot control it. What will happen will happen and the only thing you can do, really is to help yourself understand the disease and how to protect yourself.

Whatever happens, we are here for you and wishing you the happiness and peace you want for yourself. There is so much wisdom here, keep coming back for support whenever you need it. There's always someone around to listen.