View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
BombusQueen

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The short answer is yes.

I am in AA and when I introduce myself I say my name is ... and I am an addict/alcoholic. If I continued to drink I would have progressed further but I was never physically dependent on alcohol. However, through this process of recovery and introspection I have recognized that I am an addict in every sense. I did not do a ton of drugs but had I been exposed I would have been activated. I however, see this obsession that makes me an addict in all other parts of my life . To me alcohol was just another tool in the addict toolbox.

One of my meetings there is a guy that refuses to call himself an alcoholic and say he is a drunk. Another person says their full name. Conformity is difficult for us addicts/alcoholics. Its part of our problem thinking we were/are special and different than everyone else. For me rules and laws did not apply. Didn't our lawmakers know I was above this sort of stuff?

I digress but my take is its okay to label yourself whatever you want. The benefit is not in the definition but realizing the problem, reaching out for help, and being honest about it.
Thank you.