Notices

Problem drinker vs. Alcoholic?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

BombusQueen, I also fit your description exactly. The fact that I can quit for a week, a month, and at time for nearly 5 years made it difficult for me to identify with being an "alcoholic". My outlook now is that the description doesn't really matter, it was evident drinking was destroying my life, and I cannot continue drinking at any level. I also think the same problems exist that cause me to drink as your classic alcoholic. At the end of the day, the solution and the work I must do to be successful is no different than anyone else who has an excess problem.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had the same issue with defining my problems. I ended up asking myself three questions: 1- do you drink too much when you drink? 2 - does it cause problems? 3 - can you stop?

If the first two answers are yes, and the third is a no then you have a drink problem, wether you are labelled as an alcoholic is irrelevent. I find the term 'alcoholic' to be too loaded to be helpful; I spent years screwing my life up with booze, and saying 'I dont have a bottle of Jim with my cornflakes in the morning so I can't be an alcoholic...'. Most of my family and friends also used that sort of thinking to stop me getting straight.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovery Padawan

I call myself an alcoholic, although it's pretty safe to say that I have had an alcohol problem pretty much from day 1 of my drinking career. I agree it's semantics reallly and, whatever label you choose, it's time to have a look at the problem
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats NewMe on your double digits!! And thank you jdooner (and everyone) for your post. In response to hawk eye, I have no doubts that my drinking was a problem! That is why I am in the program, which I absolutely love. I have just been over analyzing the terms since that person spoke 2 Sundays ago and--very ridiculously-- was wondering if I am actually a part of "the club." When I say "My name is so-and-so and I'm an alcoholic" should I be saying problem drinker? I am aware that this is hilarious overanalyzing because I know I have a problem with alcohol and this is all semantics AND I'm pretty sure I was headed in a daily-drink direction. My point is (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this!), as a member of AA is it still totally cool for me to feel comfortable calling myself out as an alcoholic even if I didn't drink daily or feel the need to have a drink? Although I definitely felt the desire after the first drink! Again, I'm certain alcohol is a problem for me, which is why I am in the program and excited about my life in sobriety. Do many people in AA call themselves alcoholic who are in the same boat as me?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

When you introduce yourself, you can say, "I am so-and-so, and I have a desire to quit drinking."
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BombusQueen View Post
Congrats NewMe on your double digits!! And thank you jdooner (and everyone) for your post. In response to hawk eye, I have no doubts that my drinking was a problem! That is why I am in the program, which I absolutely love. I have just been over analyzing the terms since that person spoke 2 Sundays ago and--very ridiculously-- was wondering if I am actually a part of "the club." When I say "My name is so-and-so and I'm an alcoholic" should I be saying problem drinker? I am aware that this is hilarious overanalyzing because I know I have a problem with alcohol and this is all semantics AND I'm pretty sure I was headed in a daily-drink direction. My point is (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this!), as a member of AA is it still totally cool for me to feel comfortable calling myself out as an alcoholic even if I didn't drink daily or feel the need to have a drink? Although I definitely felt the desire after the first drink! Again, I'm certain alcohol is a problem for me, which is why I am in the program and excited about my life in sobriety. Do many people in AA call themselves alcoholic who are in the same boat as me?
The short answer is yes.

I am in AA and when I introduce myself I say my name is ... and I am an addict/alcoholic. If I continued to drink I would have progressed further but I was never physically dependent on alcohol. However, through this process of recovery and introspection I have recognized that I am an addict in every sense. I did not do a ton of drugs but had I been exposed I would have been activated. I however, see this obsession that makes me an addict in all other parts of my life . To me alcohol was just another tool in the addict toolbox.

One of my meetings there is a guy that refuses to call himself an alcoholic and say he is a drunk. Another person says their full name. Conformity is difficult for us addicts/alcoholics. Its part of our problem thinking we were/are special and different than everyone else. For me rules and laws did not apply. Didn't our lawmakers know I was above this sort of stuff?

I digress but my take is its okay to label yourself whatever you want. The benefit is not in the definition but realizing the problem, reaching out for help, and being honest about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If you don't like the term alcoholic, how about "someone who should never ever drink again"? Because that appears to be the absolute truth.

I'm like a train going down hill with no brakes...once I start, I can't stop until I hit a wall...with all the ensuing damage..arguing about who is engineering the train is a moot point...it's going downhill, without brakes, headed toward a wall...Whether the engineer or the brake man is at the helm...doesn't make any difference.

I need to NEVER put that faulty train (me) on the track (booze) again, no matter who is at the helm.

alcoholic is a short cut term for people like me...also a binger.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The short answer is yes.

I am in AA and when I introduce myself I say my name is ... and I am an addict/alcoholic. If I continued to drink I would have progressed further but I was never physically dependent on alcohol. However, through this process of recovery and introspection I have recognized that I am an addict in every sense. I did not do a ton of drugs but had I been exposed I would have been activated. I however, see this obsession that makes me an addict in all other parts of my life . To me alcohol was just another tool in the addict toolbox.

One of my meetings there is a guy that refuses to call himself an alcoholic and say he is a drunk. Another person says their full name. Conformity is difficult for us addicts/alcoholics. Its part of our problem thinking we were/are special and different than everyone else. For me rules and laws did not apply. Didn't our lawmakers know I was above this sort of stuff?

I digress but my take is its okay to label yourself whatever you want. The benefit is not in the definition but realizing the problem, reaching out for help, and being honest about it.
Thank you.