Thread: To commit?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
prodigal

It's difficult in my state to get someone committed ...

... and it's a difficult decision for anyone to make when it comes to having a loved one put into an inpatient program. Sometimes committing an addict puts them on the road to recovery, other times it doesn't make any difference because once they get out they go back to drinking. My cousin had his older brother committed, but he had to drag doctors into court with him to certify that his brother was of danger to himself. It took him about a year, but he persisted and today his brother is on a few meds that have helped him to function quite well in the outside world. The difference was my cousin was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia (he heard voices that told him someone was going to kill him!), but in some ways his disease was similar to that of an alcoholic's in that a lot of A's become delusional and think people are out to "get" them.

My AH has been in two inpatient detox programs - one was just four days of intensive therapy and getting him dried out so he could begin counseling and AA meetings; the other program was a 28 day inpatient detox. The first detox, he managed to stay sober for three weeks. The second time around it was pretty much the same. He wasn't ready to admit his addiction, hadn't hit bottom, and he admitted he didn't "get" all the 12-step mumbo-jumbo.

He was also in two outpatient detox's and in both cases he went for a few months, then was able to slither out of those programs. His attitude was like: "Man am I GLAD to be done with that bunch of losers. I'm not nearly as bad off as they are." Yeah, right - keep talkin', I ain't believin'!

You have been faced with a very difficult decision. However, if it's evident to you that your AH isn't ready to accept what an inpatient program has to offer, perhaps you should just step back and pray that he'll see that he needs help. I really feel for you ... it has to be very tough on you.