Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Suekie
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Trying to keep my demons out of the festivities is trickier than I thought.

Hi All,

I've been completely sober since 11/19. When I say completely it's because that was the first day that I was free of all 3 of the substances that I love: alcohol (my first love), xanax (don't miss it at all) and vicodin/norco (miss it terribly). The withdrawals were pretty horrific.

It's easier during the work week than it is on weekends/holidays. Much, MUCH easier. I have work to keep me busy. I don't have much time to really crave anything. But weekends are so, so challenging.

I decided pretty early in my sobriety that I wasn't going to do the traditional Thanksgiving to help with my cravings. It didn't seem to matter. My family went to Disneyland (we are passholders) but even then, at the Happiest Place on Earth, I was craving alcohol (it was staple of our trips, even with the kids.. sad) and worse than that, vicodin. I didn't budge though and I still had a good time.

Fast forward to this morning, I wake up. The house is a mess. I have a pounding headache (something that has come with my sobriety on a daily basis). I text my husband who was in another area of the house to check with our friend to see if he has vicodin bc I have a headache. Usually the enabler, I was expecting him to say OK. And he writes back, take more advil. I'm not going to let you do this. I wrote back OK. I'm glad he didn't let me go there. But I'm sad that I was about to.

I hope this gets easier soon.

The holidays can't end quickly enough.