View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Originally Posted by newme2day View Post
Hi all! Today is day 5 of sobriety for me and I am feeling really good.
Congrats on five days!

I have struggled with drinking for about 20 years now. Always able to "control" it somewhat. But when I lose control . . . wow . . . I am another person, and I don't remember a thing.
I understand. Been there for 20 plus years myself.

What are everyone's thoughts about Alcoholics Anonymous? I live in a really small town, and I have found that there are meetings here once a week, but I am kind of afraid to go, not knowing who will be there, and who might see me! Still worried about appearances I guess. If I can get past that, I would just genuinely like to know what to expect from someone who has been there. So please, let me know.
Are you an alcoholic?

I am an alcoholic. I go to AA. I am now eight months sober. The program works if you work it. It only takes some willingness to start. It sounds like you have that.

I don't want to do this on my own. I haven't made any promises to anyone in my family about my drinking, because they have come up empty in the past. This time, I figure I will SHOW everyone, not TELL everyone, but I need someone to be accountable to.
You do not have to do this alone. I needed help too. I walked into the rooms of AA and with the little willingness I had, I accepted their help.

AA is not going to make you accountable. It is still up to you to attend the meetings, get a sponsor and work the steps. What they can and will do is help you and guide you. They will support you. They will listen to your story, they will hold you up and love you because they have been there.

We share our experience strength and hope. They will not tell you what to do, well some might, but they will tell you what they did. That is the point of AA. Not to run around pointing fingers but to share how we got sober and remained sober.

You do not need to tell anyone. That is sort of the point of being anonymous. If you run into someone you know, so be it. They are there for the same reason you are. Walking in the door does not carry any commitment nor judgement. Just take the little bit of willingness and walk in.

If you do not want to go alone, then call the AA hotline and they can get you in touch with a person in your area. They can take you to a meeting. I did that and I am so glad I did. It only took that first step to get me started on my journey to sobriety.

Take it easy and take it one day at a time.