View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DGR106

Just Getting Started

Hi everyone. It's great to find this forum and know there are resources like this for support.

I've been drinking heavily since I was about 17 (27 now), and drinking every day for the last 4 or 5 years. I've known it's been a problem for a while but have been dragging my feet at actually taking action. I've stopped for a week or 2 here and there but never really got serious about staying sober. Now is the time, so I'm coming here for advice on stopping, possible withdrawal, etc etc. I'm concerned at stopping abruptly and the risk of seizure and other complications, although I'm not sure how serious that risk really is. When I've stopped before I've had some limited withdrawal symptoms (hot flashes, feeling shakey, anxiety). I really don't have the means to go to a doctor about this, and certainly can't go to an inpatient type of detox or rehab. I'm not particularly worried about being able to quit, as I haven't enjoyed drinking for quite some time and at this point it's really more of a chore than anything--also because I'm excited at the prospect of reversing some of the health damage I've done (bloated face, horrible acid reflux, all that fun stuff). My concern is more in the shorter-term of getting through the possible withdrawal and those risks.

Anyway, any advice or feedback you guys could provide would be amazing. Thanks a lot!