Notices

Just Getting Started

Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Getting Started

Hi everyone. It's great to find this forum and know there are resources like this for support.

I've been drinking heavily since I was about 17 (27 now), and drinking every day for the last 4 or 5 years. I've known it's been a problem for a while but have been dragging my feet at actually taking action. I've stopped for a week or 2 here and there but never really got serious about staying sober. Now is the time, so I'm coming here for advice on stopping, possible withdrawal, etc etc. I'm concerned at stopping abruptly and the risk of seizure and other complications, although I'm not sure how serious that risk really is. When I've stopped before I've had some limited withdrawal symptoms (hot flashes, feeling shakey, anxiety). I really don't have the means to go to a doctor about this, and certainly can't go to an inpatient type of detox or rehab. I'm not particularly worried about being able to quit, as I haven't enjoyed drinking for quite some time and at this point it's really more of a chore than anything--also because I'm excited at the prospect of reversing some of the health damage I've done (bloated face, horrible acid reflux, all that fun stuff). My concern is more in the shorter-term of getting through the possible withdrawal and those risks.

Anyway, any advice or feedback you guys could provide would be amazing. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome DGR! You are in the right place - SR helped me let go of my all day/every day habit. I was much older than 27 when I finally crashed & burned - so be glad you have made this life changing decision at a young age.

We can't give medical advice - & it would be good if you could see a dr. You said that may not be possible, but it's the only way to be sure you'll be safe. (I decided to taper off it because I was afraid of a blood pressure spike - but that is not recommended.) We're very glad you joined us.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined us. Here are some of our experiences with quitting.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome DGR! Many have detoxed successfully at home and lived to tell about it, but if there is any way you can obtain medical advice it is the best way.

I stubbornly decided to detox on my own and I think the anxiety of what could possibly happen was worse than the actual symptoms. Looking back, I wish I had assistance and assurance from a medical professional rather than thinking I was having a heart attack or on the edge of seizure every hour. It would have been so much easier and safer.

For peace of mind alone I would at least consult someone - perhaps a nurse helpline or even a clinic nearby? I really wish someone other than me was aware of what I was doing because going it alone was very scary and unecessary.

Best of luck and good wishes for a healthy and safe detox from this wicked poison.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend seeing a Dr.

Not everyone has problems but detox can be rough - I think it's better to be safe, and the best place for medical advice is a Dr

If you're in the US there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too thought I could detox safely at home. My Dr recommended I go for outpatient detox program. I'm so glad he did. After doing an intake with me, they said (based on how much I drank and for how long) the only safe way for me to detox was in the hospital.
Get medical advice and supervision if you can. Makes it easier, safer and (at least in my case,) make for a more successful recovery. I'm 21 days sober with the help of outpatient detox group 3 x/week and AA meeting 3x/week.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DGR106 View Post

I've been drinking heavily since I was about 17 (27 now)

I'm excited at the prospect of reversing some of the health damage I've done (bloated face, horrible acid reflux, all that fun stuff).

My concern is more in the shorter-term of getting through the possible withdrawal and those risks.
be careful
those are pretty severe things already showing in you
especially since you are so young (usually shown in much older ones)

bloated face, horrible acid reflux and the such
tells us the body is suffering

even with no medical insurance one can call a local nurse (at any hospital)
so as to get some free advice

MM
Old 11-27-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, DGR. This is a great place for feedback, encouragement, and just being in touch with people who understand. I'm new here, too, and the people here have helped me tons. Stay stong in your detox.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome DGR! The people on SR are a wonderful source of support so you're in good company here!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the words everyone. Great to know there's a community like this that's always available.