View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dublin3

Advice for return from treatment centre

Hi All,

My wife has spent the last 3 months away from home, first in a psychiatric ward and then transferred to an addiction treatment center.

So far the treatment centre seems to be going well and she seems to be responding well and for the first time in a few years seems to be connecting with her emotions and realising the damage and hurt that has been caused by addiction to medication and alchohol, particularily to our 3 teenage children.

She is due to finish with the addiction centre program in a couple of weeks and the problem I have is how to tackle how she returns to a family home when the children are so afraid of her returning to old patterns that they cannot bring themselves to try anymore - they cannot bear the emotional pain any further and have little belief that she can change.

For me this is such a sad and distressing situation because I remember so well how good a mother she was once and such a caring and loving person, but for a variety of reasons addiction and depression took hold of her. She is really trying but its hard to have too much hope after so many broken promises. But this treatment centre is quite severe in the ways she is encouraged to deal with the issues in her head that have caused the addictions and as her husband for the first time in 2 years I have some hope again.

Any advice from anyone who has experience in similar scenarios would be so appreciated - thank you.