Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lillamy

last night a few old students found me on FB (they were 6th graders when I last saw them and one of them found me and linked an old class photo and others tracked me down through that) and they were telling me how I was their favorite teacher, how I made learning fun, how much I meant to them etc...
This is your silver lining. Regardless of what this particular hiring person said, look at what the people who matter say about your skills. Chin up.

I tend to think about job hunting almost the same way Hammer does (except I'm apparently less optimistic): 100 applications>15 interviews> 1 offer.

The other thing is -- and forgive me for going all spiritual here -- sometimes, we don't get what we want. We get what we need.

About 10 years ago, I was ditching my small business to become an employee again (being married to an A and having kids and running a business = disaster). I applied for every job that moved in my profession. I interviewed for.. I think 10-12 jobs. I was if anything overqualified for half of them and definitely qualified for the rest. Got the "thank you but we picked another applicant" stuff.

So I got desperate and applied for a job I was absolutely NOT qualified for. Something in my application caught the eye of the hiring manager. He called me in for an interview. We clicked. He gave me the job (3 month test period during which I was trained) and after that, hired me permanently. That job qualified me for the job where I made enough money to leave AXH and be able to support my children.

Then I moved. Same story. Applied for jobs I was qualified for, didn't even get a call back. Finally applied for a job that was way out of my comfort zone -- and got it. And a pay about 40% above what I would have gotten in the other jobs. It's also a job where I am forced to be out and about and interact with people, where I have to get up, put on makeup, do my hair, and dress to the nines every day. All of which goes completely against what I WANT to do, which is sit by my computer in my jammies and avoid social interactions. BUT IT IS GOOD FOR ME. It is bringing my confidence and my love of life back.

So that's my story. You may not know what your HP has in store for you, but your HP is solidly in control here. Throw some pillows at the wall. Cry a bit. Swear (that always makes me feel a bit better). And then say to yourself, "Self, you're done doing the self-pity thing. HP has a plan for you and it's irritating you can't know what it is, but you have to trust it's there."

Lots of hugs to you. I cried so much before I got this job. Just remember you're that awesome teacher those kids talked about. Whether one particular employer sees it or not.