View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mrohno

Originally Posted by Andy F
[Snip]
[P]eople are getting sober without a spiritual connection.
[Snip]
The idea that "people are getting sober without a spiritual connection" may deserve further attention. I have noticed few who share or express this view. Hats off to Don S, and Andy F, and a few others who take an enormous amount of time and effort expressing a minority of views. I think you are appreciated more than you may realize.

It is my contention these views are needed and deserve attention here, not only because I share them but because the goal of this forum is recovery. Recovery is equally valid for those who choose a higher power (AA, 12-steps, etc.) as it is to those who choose to denounce religion, spirituality, or both, and find other ways to recovery.

I consider the mental turmoil I endured going into a 28 day program an atheist, forced to dream up some "higher power" just to please the group and appear I took recovery seriously in this particular manner (let alone what I was going through physically and mentally). Some said "just make the tree your higher power." Well, to many atheists, spiritualism is invalid, akin to religion, as the latter springs from the former, so neither offers solace. So to comply, and with no stretch of illogic already used, I made myself my higher power, instead of the tree, and left any elaboration (and 12 steps, for that matter) to others. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with these views.

In the 28 day program we were doused in AA principles daily. We went to AA meetings three or four evenings a week, had to write in Hazelden pamphlets in a confessional manner while "reflecting" on passages from the Blue Book. I attended AA meetings for two months after the program but soon gave up all hope of ever getting anything useful from them. It was educational certainly, but I am incapable of applying AA principles.

So what did the 28 day program achieve? So far, about a year's sobriety to which I credit AA nothing.

Sobriety can be achieved without AA, and you don't have to be an atheist (although it helps ).

The only reason I post this is to support different views on the matter.