View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
anyistoomuch

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
But she is also an alcoholic. And my mother. I have learned that we can't necessarily choose our parents but we can choose how we react to them. I am getting better but, on nights like the other one, I want to fly through the phone and strangle her a$$.

So, yeah, completely and totally hear you there, Any.
Oi! These moms. One thing I realized, that helped me put some boundaries on the whole mom-being-a-drain-on-my-soul scenario is that I told her that she could not call me when she had been drinking, because I said she didn't seem like her self when she was. Basically, I told her that if she calls me after 3:30 (the time which she starts her drinking schedule), that I would not answer the phone. She left me a bunch of crazy messages, all of which I have saved.

Doing that had nothing to do with MY sobriety, it had to do with the fact that I couldn't talk to her when I knew she was buzzing - she wasn't reasonable and fell back on all sorts of bad manipulating habits as if I was still a teenager.

That seemed to help a little. My brother backed me up on it too, so that was a bonus.