View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jeni26

Whoa...yeah that would hurt alright! I can totally relate. Maybe it's that parents seem to be able to tap into our child ego state and we cannot help but feel the teeniest bit abandoned and rejected.

Reckon it's normal for you to feel that. I know I would too.

But to keep this in perspective...she and her partner have obviously got their own issues with alcohol. Whether they admit to being alcoholic or not, to have someone sober around them causing them that much angst? Well. It sort of speaks for itself. My Mum (who I don't think is an alcoholic, but has issues with addiction to pain meds and is my Dad's and brother's codependent enabler), is already fretting about Christmas. She is worrying about having me sober and making everyone else feel uncomfortable..weird isn't it?

I would, if you can, turn this whole thing into a positive. Spin it on its head.

Be thankful that you have broken this cycle. Pity them for not bring able to share in the gifts that sobriety is bringing you.

Go set up your own new sober routine...you are free to do whatever you like and that is such a good feeling. Remember Christmases or big family events of the past when alcohol drove and ruled the whole thing? Well they are gone.

A sober Christmas? Sounds great. Make new traditions and you will have the best time xxx