View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Br00ksie
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Kell, I haven't heard from UI since his post earlier today. I wonder what's up with him and Hooped too. I never knew I could be this concerned about people I have never seen or met!

So a day or two ago I wrote about wanting to drink and feeling really restless. Brooksie, you asked me what is going on in my head, why do I want to drink. I thought about it, slept, went to a meeting, and then it all clicked into place. Here's what I came up with: I used to drink for pretty much any reason, but one big trigger was excitement. I loved nothing more than anticipating a great party or get together (like Thanksgiving) and getting started a little early. Also, in my family growing up and since I have been an adult, the holidays were synonymous with drinking. So after nearly 30 years of drinking all day and evening on Thanksgiving, I am breaking that tradition, and while it is the right thing to do, it isn't natural for me yet. So I need to be aware of that discomfort and be patient with myself.

But here's the thing: I stopped drinking for me. No one asked me to stop, no ultimatums, I just knew I was sick of feeling like crap more often than not and I was tired of obsessing over the next drink. That had only to do with me, and I am in charge of my not drinking. No one is going to force me to drink on Thanksgiving or any other day; it's all me. And I kind of like that. For a control freak like me, knowing it all hinges on me is pretty okay.

I know this all sounds really elementary, but I had to think it all through and put the pieces together and, now that I have, I feel a lot better. I don't expect that I won't be tempted, but I am planning to stock up on my special sodas and drink them whenever I want, calories be damned. I'll will still drink fewer calories than if I were slugging down wine and beer for 12 hours straight.

Ok, Grace, up off the couch. The therapy hour has ended!
Not elementary at all. Actually, really intuitive and honest. Thank you for this. ((((Grace))))