Thread: To commit?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sherella

To commit?

Hi,
Years ago my aunt married an alcoholic, before they married, he went everywhere with her, after they were married he started becoming more and more reclusive. One night she came home, crawled into bed and went to sleep, the next morning she woke up and tried to arouse him, he was dead, he had shot himself sometime the evening before. I just can't imagine what that must have been like.The last time I went to alanon they said my husband was going to die, I haven't been back.

Two weeks ago I came down stairs and found him not responsive, I called the police, they called the paramedic's
he finally came to and they would have left him, but I had just gotton out of the hospital and couldn't handle him, they took him to detox at my request. They said I could have him committed because he is a danger to himself and others and the court would put him in a program. I thought he deserved a chance to seek some kind of help on his own before I did that, I understand that he is responsible for his own actions, but I can't help feeling as though not doing it is like saying to your friend who is totally drunk here's my keys, drive at will. I am wondering if any one has committed their loved one and if so was it any help?