View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Lulu39

Money for all the bills comes out of my bank account on pay day every week, so I never, ever have to open a bill and freak out. Everything that has to be paid is paid for automatically on pay day - mortgage, phone the lot. What I'm left with is for food and whatever.

I shop at a discount grocery store. Most weeks I can get by on $100 worth for the week. That's kids home made school lunches too. I always buy a few extras to put in the pantry like canned kidney beans, chick peas etc. so I have a stockpile.

If I buy meat I buy a bulk lot and freeze it in meal size batches - usually things like chicken breasts and bulk lots of good quality bacon with the fat already cut off. Bacon can make some really cheap pasta dishes!

I do pulled pork occasionally - it uses a cheap cut of pork and the leftovers are great for lunches and sandwiches.

Here is the easiest and cheapest of one of the meals I make, it's a weight watchers recipe but I use it because it's also cheap and easy.

Gnocchi with Ham and Chilli

100g 97% fat-free shaved ham (I use proper ham or some of my frozen bacon)
500g packet 98% fat-free gnocchi
olive oil cooking spray
1/2 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2/3 cup extra-light sour cream
1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped

Preheat grill on medium-high heat. Line a grill tray with foil. Spread ham over prepared tray and grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until light golden and crisp. Remove to a plate. Set aside to cool. Roughly chop ham.

Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender.

Meanwhile, combine sour cream and 1/4 cup cold water in a jug. Mix well. Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over low heat. Add chilli, onions and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft, add sour cream mixture, heat gently 1-2 minutes

Drain gnocchi. Add gnocchi, cream mixture, parsley and ham to frying pan. Toss over low heat until warmed through. Season with pepper. Serve.