View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
pixilation

Contact social services. Not only can you get help from them, but they often have other resources that you can utilize.

In my area, I know where I can get free food once a week, and/or once a month, no referrals necessary. At the once a month place, I can also peruse a free thrift store. There is also a kid's clothes giveaway once a month, again no referral necessary. Free/reduced health care is available at a clinic that utilizes family practice residents. There is also a dental clinic that operates in a similar fashion. Even therapy can be had for free, and the last I heard they even had grant money so you can ride the bus for free , roundtrip, for the appt.

For me, getting rid of entertainment came first. Want to watch a video? go to the library and rent it. Borrow books and read them, utilize the library's internet.

Place to live? I found an inexpensive apartment with heat paid. BEST decision ever.

My car, it's a beater I bought for 1k cash last September. The only thing I've done to it is add oil(small oil leak)

I rarely buy new clothes, even for myself. I garage sale during the summer, with a list of things that are needed. I sew, so I can fix minor problems with clothes(popped seam, no problem for me) which means I can get them for that much less. I put cool patches(that came from old clothes of the kids) in a few pairs of jeans I bought for 25cents each for my 5yo son. So he gets jeans that have yoda and buzz lightyear in the knees, and pants to wear that I got for a steal.

I think it was easier for me, because for the last 9 months or so before I left ex, I wasn't being given grocery money, or any money really. The only pay of his I had access too was his drill pay(before the military discharged him) and that had to pay for school lunches for 2 kids, gas, etc. That's when I found out about the food places.

Homemade laundry soap
Homemade Laundry Detergent - The Original and Best Recipe