Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
innamorata

perfect example.

I'm gonna tell you guys something, that I'm not going to tell anyone about IRL...

I went today and filled out an application for a job. I work at home, and I love what I do, but it just isn't bringing in enough money. I happened to notice a job posting at my son's high school...guidance counselor secretary. This would be ideal...I already drive my son to school every morning (about seven miles away), and next year my daughter will be going to 5th grade there, so it would be great as I wouldn't have to pay a babysitter. For the rest of this year, she could just get on the bus and ride to the school and wait the rest of the day out with me (at the elementary school she is in now, K-4th, she gets out about 45 minutes earlier than he does). We'd all get there and leave at the same time every day, and I'd be off during most of the summer to be home with the kids. The deadline was today, and I just got it in under the wire.

It's a small school (maybe 600 students from 7th-12th), and the same one I attended, so I already know 95% of the faculty. I was nervous filling out the application...I haven't applied for a job in at least 15 years! But I think I could do this.

I'm not telling anyone IRL, because I couldn't handle the questions about how it is going...and what if I don't get it? I'd have to tell everyone that I didn't get the job, which would make me feel like a total failure, and I'd be completely embarrassed and depressed...at least, if I don't get it, the only one who knows is me, and nobody will laugh at me or talk about me.

Now, I recognize that this is not normal behavior. Why do I do this?