Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
Either way - I want to meet this guy in person and see, because he does seem great so far, but his profile says he is a "frequent" drinker.
Everyone seems great before we meet them. That's the lure of online dating. Seen it dozens of times on SR alone.

I agree with 360shoes...Dating is a lost art. We sidestep a lot of the tension, excitement and work that goes into meeting someone and spending time with them in real life. Before we even meet, we've already made big decisions around who this new person is, usually framing them within the context of what it is we need or want from another person. By so doing, we sell ourselves short and settle for a fantasy rather than someone who is kind, caring and loving.

If online dating is the current standard, then the standard has been much lowered. We meet up with a stranger for a "hookup" or to "hang out," become attached, and only after all hell breaks loose do we see the problems for what they are, but we're in too deep to save ourselves, to do anything about it.

I'm sure that many people can chime in and write about how they found their "soul mates" via online dating, but just as the one or two people out of thousands who are able to moderate their drinking, we pay special attention to such cases because they are the rare exceptions.