Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
anyistoomuch

First date in a long time....and he's probably a drinker.

This is me this morning.

It is Friday 7:43am in Boston. I have already had three instances since I woke up an hour ago thinking about how I am going to handle this, and noting that voice that says "oh, just deal with stopping drinking later - this weekend you can have some drinks because - Look at you! You are 8 days with no wine. You can do this anytime!"

Ha ha ha! That voice is IRRITATING. @$%^$@%@ AV!

I never had a problem drinking alone, and I enjoyed quality drinking time with my girlfriends, so I rarely dated, although I put up an online profile which I most often ignored because I was quite happy spending my fun time drinking on my own or with my buddies. (For the people here who say they are from an older generation and don't understand the online dating sites...for people in their 40s it is now that STANDARD way for urban people to meet people looking to date.)

But I went ahead and responded to someone who reached out to me online, it went well, and now I have a coffee date with him this weekend. The issue is, I created my profile when I was a wine drinker and haven't changed it in the past 10 days. In my profile - I put "drinks socially" which was a total lie because I actually was a-Daily-drinker-to-excess-abuser-of-alcohol-whether-I-can-call-myself-an-alcoholic-or-not. (funny, they don't have that option on these online sites when they ask about your drinking habits).

Either way - I want to meet this guy in person and see, because he does seem great so far, but his profile says he is a "frequent" drinker. When he suggested we meet for a drink, I told him I prefer to meet for coffee because I am off wine because I am "getting my stamina up for cross country skiing" which is not a total lie because I am getting back in shape and I do want to do a cross country class in January. Eventually, if we hit it off, he will want to get a drink, and I have a choice to make. Sigh.

I'm just sharing this, I know the only option I have is to not drink, but there is an irony in this for me.

You know - I am beginning to realize that I isolated myself with alcohol and never put myself out there to meet new people. And now that I am putting myself out there to meet new people, alcohol feels like it is STILL inserting itself.

Also - I know I am getting ahead of myself, who knows if I will even like him in person!