Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Jend719

Thank you Hammer...originally my AD was diagnosed with bipolar. It then transitioned to personality disorder NOS. He last psychiatrist and the last hospital stay agreed that she has borderline personality disorder. I have done a lot of reading and research and with the help of my own therapist, I've come to understand it much better. Borderline is extremely difficult to treat. A lot of therapist do not want to work with border lines because there is too much work involved. You are correct in that DBT is the primary form of therapy. A therapist has to be certified in it and not many are. It's a very long, in depth treatment requiring a lot of work and behavior modification on the part of the patient. The therapist acts almost as a life coach sort of on call so to speak the way a sponsor would. The patient has to be taught the basics almost like a class on DBT. All addiction needs to be dealt with first before anyone with a mental health disorder can begin to work on their mental health. It's so difficult to deal with the addict but when you add in a serious mental health diagnosis it compounds the situation 10 fold. It's not like a mood stabilizer or anti-depressant or a combo of both would just stabilize her to get her functioning unfortunately. That is why I continue to fight so hard on her behalf. There's a part of her that is unable especially right now to do that for herself. If I don't care....who will?