Thread: Is it fair???
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jalacola

You said in your post that you thought he would only get sober if you were there to support him, but that you had been down that road before. There is your answer. You have tried to stay and support him in getting sober and it didn't work. Now it's time to try something different. This may not do it either. Bottom line... He will quit when he is ready. My AH just moved out today. Will that get him sober? Probably not. He had all the support in the world from me and from his entire family, network of friends, etc. and that didn't work. He went to rehab and it didn't work. He wasn't ready. He will get sober when he is ready. That said, it is not your job to stick around and wait until he is ready. If you aren't happy, then you do what it takes to make yourself happy. Easier said than done, I know. But all you can do right now is take care of yourself. Get to some al-anon meetings. There you will learn the 3 Cs: You didn't CAUSE it, you can't CONTROL it, and you can't CURE it. It's a disease. Nothing you do will change him. He has to do this on his own.