Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
firstymer

Welcome, Sue. I am glad you are here with us. I am not sure how much you were drinking, so my experience may be different than yours. After 5 days I began to physically feel much better. My stomach didn't ache after meals, I began to sleep better, and the fog started lifting from my thought process. I KNEW I was doing the right thing by quitting drinking. But I would experience daily (sometimes twice daily) powerful urges to drink. Expect them. Plan for them. Know how you will deal with them. My best tool was hours upon hours spent here at SR. Read the forums, post often, visit the chat rooms. I frequently logged on to SR with a burning desire to drink. I always logged off with a strong resolve not to drink. Although the urges to drink will be incredibly powerful at first, they will come less frequently over time. And they will gradually subside in intensity too. As the urges subside, you will notice literally dozens of ways in which your life will improve. Better sleep. Better mood. Better diet. Better self image. The list is endless.

Congratulations on making this decision. If you stick with it, and stay strong, your life will be much, much better for it. Good luck. And welcome.