View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Way to be proactive!

For nighttime (for me, at least) chamomile tea or tablets, melatonin (there are some dissolvable, mild forms that can even be used in the middle of the night upon waking, but I know everyone reacts differently to it), yoga/meditation RIGHT before bed ALWAYS helps me! Practicing meditation techniques before you need them so that you aren't struggling with it during a critical moment is helpful.

At my fave yoga studio, I learned an exercise of doing a body scan, starting at your toes & focusing on just each small area at a time, releasing the stress/tension held in each little area as you work your way up your body from toes to the crown of your head. (i'm forever shocked at the amount of tension I tend to hold in my eyes, forehead, tongue, etc.) Chakra breathing helps me too - focusing on opening each point through deep breathing & visualizing the colors of each chakra point as I move the energy/white light through. When I really focus inward in a healing way like that I don't have enough mental energy to pay attention to the things causing me stress..... and when I finish I often drift off to sleep very easily, or if not then the stressors somehow seem less critical because I feel calmer.