View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NYcowboyfan

I absolutely am very concerned with injuring somebody else by my foolish decision. It actually is the bigger impetus in my desire to quit than my own health. I figured that it went with out saying I am very lucky that nobody else got hurt by my reckless actions. As far as drinking and driving all the time, this incident would be the first time I have driven drunk in 9 years after promising to myself and my family I would never do it again. You are right, it would have been more logical to call a taxi, and if I was at all sober, that is exactly what I would have done. Or called one of my other friends for a ride. Or stayed at a hotel. Or just slept in the backseat of my car. However, I have no recollection of what happened, and what possessed me to be so reckless and drive. That is what scares me--that I know better, that I had other choices, but I did it anyway. I want to quit because my behavior when blacked out is unpredictable, and clearly dangerous to myself and others. I wish I could moderate myself so that I wouldn't get to the blackout stage, but I just can't seem to consistently do it. Eventually, I'm worried that if I keep trying to have "just a few" I will slip up, just like this past weekend, except with a less happy ending. Trust me, the feeling I have is more than "a little unpleasant." I wish I could get drunk as a skunk and be able to trust myself to make the responsible decision, but I'm just not sure it's possible anymore. Thanks for the response and I hope I clarified things for you.