Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Doug39

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
To be honest I never wanted to quit. If I could have carried on drinking without the anxiety, insomnia, regrets, shame, damage to my oesophagus, throwing up, etc etc...well I'm positive I would still be doing it.

I just reached that point when I didn't want to waste one more weekend curled up in pain and hungover.

To stop all those negatives the only option was to quit completely. I thought it was a bit drastic, but I couldn't moderate so there it was. To continue or quit completely.

Lots of good posts on this thread.

I too have had a pretty good life and in the beginning I never drank to self medicate...I did it for fun and to be social.

And believe me, if I could drink and not be hungover, get anxiety, get high blood pressure, etc. I would be drinking this minute.

At 93 days sober I feel so great physically and mentally; I sometimes wonder if I could handle going out and having a few drinks. But I know I won't stop and the whole cycle will start again.

Out of the last 25 years the longest I ever went without a drink was 12 days; and that was because I was on presciption pain killers from oral surgery. This 93 days sober is a whole new feeling for me.

I just wish I could get over thinking about how great it would be to have a drink. I know it would suck if I did - it is as if I need to test myself.