Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SteveJr

For me there was a lot of detox visits, not my will but my family's will. I wasn't ready to stop. Even finding out my liver enzymes were abnormal. Still wasn't stopping me. Waking up in ER's; one time I had so my alcohol in my system that the ER doctor told me there was a chance I wasn't going to make it. Apparently my heart stopped for a while.
Toward the end of my drinking I wanted to die, because the anxiety was killing me. I was getting so sick that even shaking to try to get liquor into me wasn't doing it.
I got to the point where I couldn't drink anymore, was sober enough to realize that I'm going to die or end up in prison.
Shortly after, a young kid (18 I believe) was driving drunk down a street near me, struck a police officer, didn't stop. Hit and run. Was caught about 6 miles away. The officer died. His family buried him on Memorial Day. He had a little boy.
I remember driving by the funeral. Officers and firefighters from everywhere.
I look back asking is it worth it for me and my pathetic stupid drunk binges worth affecting so many people, because I was heading down that road.
Once you take care of yourself, reach out for help, realize it's not too late you can change your life. Once your sober for a while you turn your focus from yourself into a life a serving others and you experience joy that no substance can ever bring.
That's just been my experience.