Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ptrn7960

Wanting closure from ex who is recovering alcoholic...

First thank you again everyone for responding to my questions and concerns. Hearing perspectives from all walks of life helps tremendously. My first thread I discussed the conversation I had with my ex (now 4 months sober from alcohol) and wanting to understand the why's. But it would help if I could get some advice or perspectives on few other things we spoke about that day.

He said he still did not know what I liked about him. I said when I would tell you, you couldn't accept a compliment or just said 'well any guy can do that etc...' Well, when we spoke I felt that it might make things harder but assumptions aren't good. He at times indirectly wants an answer about something but will not always directly ask. Maybe he wanted to hear it with a different frame or for his own personal reasons. I would love to tell him I always tried to. Answering him now (in a letter of course) is honestly not for my own selfish reasons. I am not looking for him to respond or call me etc. Things will not all of a sudden change between us, I know that now. Thoughts on if it is okay to send him a letter telling him why?

Also, after all of the above-mentioned, towards end of conversation he asked me if there is anything else I needed to hear or know etc. I said all I needed was your honesty and I was not expecting an apology but it means so much you did. I said in order for me to move on I just want to tell you a few things and than I will let you go. His tone of voice changed slightly confused and said 'wait what do you mean when you say moving on?'

Now, he is very intelligent & seeing he broke up with me, he just told me he can't be in a relationship right now and says seeing me right now he is worried it will break his sobriety (said its not me its him)...I was not quite sure as to why he didn't understand what I meant when I said 'moving on?' So, all I did was tell him that I love him very much, he told me what I needed to know and hear, & all I want is for him to live a fulfilling life and for him to take care of himself. He again asked me what I meant by moving on? All I did was than ask him if he thinks we should talk anymore and than he said he didn't know and had to go. Do you think he knows what I meant by moving on? Or maybe not?