View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AntikBazaar

How to protect us and help him?

My husband's brother has been living with us for a couple of months. He has had drug problems for decades, but he had been clean for over six months when he moved in, so I felt fairly comfortable agreeing to it.

Yesterday I found out that he brought cocaine into our house and used it. I'm livid. I tore a strip off him and told him that if it happened again, I wasn't just kicking him out, I'd be calling the police. He didn't want to tell his sponsor or his parents what had happened, and he said he "couldn't see" going and getting a white keytag and starting all over. However, I insisted that I would allow a recovering addict in my house, but not a drug addict, and that hiding a "slip" didn't sound much like recovery to me. I'm pretty sure he called his sponsor and told him after our conversation, and he's out at a meeting right now, so I hope that things will get back on track quickly and I can trust him again.

Now that I'm calmed down I feel a bit embarrassed but also terribly confused. How do I protect my family? How can I help my brother-in-law? What kind of message does it send my teenage son if I allow someone to keep living here after this kind of situation? Did I go too far, or did I not go far enough?

I found my closest Nar-Anon meeting and my husband and I are going to go on Monday evening, but that's days away and feels like an eternity. I've found some good resources here on the site already and I will keep reading, but if anyone has comments on my specific circumstance and immediate tips for things to do or avoid, I've love to hear it. I'm particularly worried about danger signs I should look for to know if things are deteriorating.